POSITION TITLE: Health Benefit Assister
REPORTS TO: ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR FOR COMMUNITY SERVICES URBAN OR RURAL SUPERVISOR
FSLA CLASSIFICATION: Non-exempt
GENERAL RESPONSIBILITY: Provide accurate and unbiased information to help residents of Northern Kentucky understand and enroll in a health plan of their choice through one-on-one interactions, group presentations, public events or activities
- Assist in the enrollment of the Northern Kentucky population and conduct related outreach activities.
- Facilitate consumer enrollment and outreach activities.
- Complete required training courses developed by KHBE and receive a passing score of at least 80 percent to become certified.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of the Affordable Care Act and Kentucky’s Medicaid Enrollment Process for Medicaid Expansion.
- Travel to consumer locations in order to assist with enrollment activities.
- Provide unbiased guidance on Medicaid coverage options in a face-to-face setting, including in consumers’ home.
- Adequately answer consumers’ questions about enrollment.
- Refer consumers to Agents, consumer assistance agencies as specified by or the Call Center when guidance is needed.
- Assist in the processing of appeals for consumers in the Exchange.
- Process re-enrollment in the Exchange.
- Guide Consumers in modifying their coverage due to a life changing events.
- Abide by reporting standards on Exchange related activities.
- Conduct outreach activities at local events to educate Kentuckians about the Exchange.
- Assist KHBE in working local community events to promote the Exchange.
- Achieve a high level of consumer satisfaction.
- Participate in Health Benefit Assister duties for the open enrollment periods on the Exchange—this requires being willing to hold a flexible schedule and attend some evening and some weekend enrollment or outreach events.
- Accept referrals from Navigators and Agents.
- Provide access to oral interpretation of non-English languages to ensure meaningful access.
- Provide services in a location that is accessible to those with disabilities and materials and other utilized tools to those with disabilities.
- Ensure that an authorized representative is present for disabled individuals (when applicable).
- Perform other duties as assigned by Regional Supervisor or Program Director, including attendance at evening or weekend events.
- Assures compliance with all program and grant requirements.
- High School or GED required, College preferred.
- Knowledge/experience in the health care industry, and knowledge of Affordable Care Act preferred.
- Computer experience, including proficiency with Microsoft Office and internet research, and ability to learn specialized computer databases, as needed.
- Knowledge of community social services, business organizations, agencies, and resources in the region. Understanding of rural and urban populations, and particularly of the county assigned.
- Excellent communication skills, including public speaking.
- Ability to work with people of diverse and varying socio-economic backgrounds.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule to facilitate enrollment for groups of consumers who work traditional daytime hours.
- Travel is a requirement of this position.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license, regular access to reliable transportation, and current auto insurance.
- Must be able to sit at a computer for prolonged periods of time up to 50% of the time.
- Must be able to lift up to 25 pounds up to 10% of the time.
*NKCAC is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We strongly encourage people of Color, people with disabilities, women, bilingual people, and former or current recipients of public assistance to apply for available positions.
The employee is expected to adhere to all agency policies and program requirements as required in the completion of this job description and all agency business.
NKCAC IS A DRUG-FREE WORKPLACE