Reports To: Executive Director and CEO
Status: Full-time, Exempt
Supervises: Human Resources
This position oversees a wide range of logistical and service functions for a non-profit entity. The primary role is to serve as a strategic leader on the Leadership Team while directing the Human Resource (“HR”) function.
Essential Duties and Outcomes:
- Oversees the HR staff and serves as a strategic planner for talent acquisition, employee engagement and retention, learning and development and total rewards.
- Oversees and leads the structure of the HR function, organizational effectiveness and development, employee and labor relations and HR technology.
- With business acumen and critical evaluation, assists build, monitor and effectively manage an operational budget to balance revenue with expenses. Develops and applies fiscal prudence to insure Redwood stays within budget
- Provides leadership and consultation, as a subject matter expert, among the Redwood Board and its committees (Staffing).
- Leadership to create and execute short and long-term strategic action plans to address critical needs and trends within the core functions that are consistent with the Agency’s Strategic Plan/Goals.
- Ensures the learning and development, including cross-training, of staff within the HR department.
- Proactively provides guidance on cultural effectiveness to strengthen Redwood’s image as a desirable place to work and to minimize the risk of challenges or complaints.
- Advocates and presents Redwood in a positive light in talent acquisition, charity events and/or community engagements.
- Oversees the sourcing, negotiating, vendor selection and administration of staff benefit and welfare plans.
- Proactively maintains and shares an up-to-date awareness of employment laws and trends; advises committees and the leadership team regarding risk management actions.
- Leads bi-annual review and proposals for change regarding our salary scales and compensation plans.
- Serves as coach, advisor or sounding board for a wide range of staff including but not limited to executives, directors, professionals and direct care providers.
- Oversees the learning and development staff training function in designing, sourcing or presenting programs or modules.
- Oversees the staffing and operation of the front desk and Welcome Center.
- Oversees on-boarding/off boarding and use of volunteers.
- Computer Skills – Possesses a working knowledge of Microsoft office skills, internet software and database programs. Able to accurately enter data into a database, search for information, send and receive email and attachments.
- Teamwork including balancing team and individual responsibilities, exhibiting objectivity and openness to others' views, giving and welcoming feedback, contributing to building a positive team spirit, and supporting everyone's efforts to succeed.
- Ability to relate to a broad range of people which represents a wide range of cultural behavior and/ or value systems.
- Excellent time management skills and ability to multi-task and prioritize work.
- Attention to detail and problem solving skills.
- Excellent written, listening and verbal communication skills with ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations.
- Strong organizational, planning and fiscal skills.
- Highly developed interpersonal skills to include maintaining confidentiality, mentoring and coaching, and remaining open to others' ideas/tries new things.
- Professionalism including approaching others in a tactful manner, reacting well under pressure, treating others with respect and consideration, accepting responsibility for own actions, and following through on commitments.
- Shows initiative, volunteers readily, asks for and offers help when needed.
- Works with integrity and ethically.
Required Education and Experience:
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in human resources leadership
- Exposure to multiple disciplines in the field of business
- Bachelor degree
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Multiple function leadership experience with 10 years focus in Human Resources
- Bachelor’s degree in business, labor relations or related field
- Master of Business Administration
- Certifications SHRM/SCP and/or SPHR
Working knowledge of Microsoft office; exposure to various professional programs such as payroll, HRIS or financial software.
Inside typical office environment, heated and air conditioned. Temperature 68 to 80 degrees F. Ambient noise, low, not requiring hearing protection. No other personal safety equipment required.
In the role the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is regularly is required to stand, walk, sit, use hand to finger, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms.
The employee frequently lifts and/or moves up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.