POSITION TITLE: TEACHER
REPORTS TO: EDUCATION COORDINATOR
GENERAL RESPONSIBILITY: Operate in compliance with any and all of the policies and procedures as established by NKCAC Head Start and the performance standards as established by the Federal Government regarding program operations to promote and provide quality service delivery to the children, families, and community of our service area.
- Work cooperatively with all components of the program.
- Maintain the confidentiality of staff and clients.
- Maintain a clean and organized work area.
- Participate in the annual self-assessment.
- Attend staff meetings and training, as required.
- Follow established child abuse reporting requirements.
- Assist in recruiting and training parent and community volunteers.
- Assist in securing in-kind donations to match the required non-Federal share amount each program year.
- Assist in the coordination of the curriculum development, classroom management, and Teachers training program.
- Performance of any other work related task deemed necessary by direct supervisor.
- Planning and providing daily classroom activities to meet social, intellectual, physical and emotional needs of individual children, with input of assistant.
- Structure room arrangement in consultation with ECD/H Team, and maintain clean and orderly room, with proper use and care of equipment and supplies.
- Supervise children in and out of classroom at all times.
- Maintain all enrollee’s records, assessments, and screenings.
- Prepare learning activities and materials during “Preparation and planning” time, when children are not present. Submit plans to site supervisor with requisitions for supplies.
- Compile and maintain observations, documentation and evaluation of each child’s growth and development for the purpose of planning activities to suit individual needs.
- Supervise Teacher Assistant; Provide guidance in working with children and parents; Provide input in Teacher Assistant’s evaluation.
- Conduct a minimum of two home visits per year to each family, to be coordinated with Management staff to confer the needs of the individual children. A minimum of two parent teacher conferences per year to address the progress of the individual child.
- Participate in staffing of individual children and weekly family service conferences.
- Maintain a valid C.D.A. Certification and renew as necessary. Participate in C.D.A. training whenever offered, and must have willingness to take advantage of training and education as offered by the program.
- Participate in the development of the education and/or special services plan for the individual child.
- Must assume additional responsibilities when necessary, such as bus monitoring, classroom coverage, etc.
- Provide activities and guidance for volunteers and encourage parent participation
- Assures compliance with all program and grant requirements.QUALIFICATIONS:
- Degree in Early Childhood Education preferred. High school diploma or GED required.
- Relevant experience with pre-school children or related background.
- Experience in teaching young children in a Head Start classroom and/or similar environment.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work with people of diverse and varying socio-economic backgrounds.
- NKCAC-Head Start cannot employ anyone convicted of a felony or has been found by the Cabinet to have abused or neglected a child.
- Must have the ability to stand/walk/run after young children 100% of the time.
- Ability to lift and/or carry up to 50 lbs up to 50% of the time
- Ability to sit at, read, and enter data on computer for prolonged periods of time up to 75% of the time
- *NKCAC is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We strongly encourage people of Color, people with disabilities, women, bilingual people, and former or current recipients of public assistance to apply for available positions.
The employee is expected to adhere to all agency policies and program requirements as required in the completion of this job description and all agency business.
NKCAC IS A DRUG-FREE WORKPLACE