POSITION TITLE: ASSISTANT TEACHER
REPORTS TO: EDUCATION COORDINATOR AND TEACHER
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: None
GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES: Operate in compliance with any and all of the policies and procedures as established by NKCAC Head Start and the performance standards as established by the Federal Government regarding program operations to promote and provide quality service delivery to the children, families, and community of our service area. Fulfill responsibilities as an early childhood development, and health services team member and carry out tasks as outlined in the Component Plan.
- Work cooperatively with all components of the program.
- Maintain the confidentiality of staff and clients.
- Maintain a clean and organized work area.
- Participate in the annual self-assessment.
- Attend staff meetings and training, as required.
- Follow established child abuse reporting requirements.
- Assist in recruiting and training parent and community volunteers.
- Assist in securing in-kind donations to match the required non-Federal share amount each program year.
- Performance of any other work related task deemed necessary by direct supervisor.
- Assume classroom operations under the direction of Teacher.
- Assist Teacher in planning daily classroom activities to meet educational needs.
- Assist Teacher in structuring room arrangement.
- Assist in supervision of children’s activities in and out of the classroom.
- Assist in meeting safety and health standards.
- Assist in maintaining all enrollee’s records and assessments.
- Participate in staffing of individual children and weekly family service conferences.
- Work closely with parents under the guidance and supervision of the Teacher.
- Assist in requisition of supplies, preparing learning activities and materials.
- Share in maintenance of room, proper care and use of equipment and supplies under Teacher’s guidance.
- Assist in evaluation of classroom program, prepare activities and guidance for volunteers and encourage parent participation.
- Accompany Teacher on a minimum of two home visits per year to each family and introduce the goals of Head Start to parents.
- Participate in the development of the educational and/or special services plan for the individual child.
- Assist Teacher during parent/teacher conferences.
- Must assume additional responsibilities when necessary, such as bus monitor, classroom coverage, etc.
- Assures compliance with all program and grant requirements.
- High School diploma or GED.
- Interest in working with pre-school children and volunteers.
- Willingness to obtain a Child Development Associate certification (CDA) within two years of employment as teachers assistant.
- NKCAC-Head Start cannot employ anyone convicted of a felony or has been found by the Cabinet to have abused or neglected a child.
- Ability to work with people of diverse and varying socio-economic backgrounds.
- Must have the ability to stand/walk/run after young children 100% of the time.
- Ability to lift and/or carry up to 50 lbs up to 50% of the time
- Ability to sit at, read, and enter data on computer for prolonged periods of time up to 75% of the time *NKCAC is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We strongly encourage people of Color, people with disabilities, women, bilingual people, and former or current recipients of public assistance to apply for available positions.